Say it With Cookies

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...cookies! Etc. Etc.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twelve Days of Cookies, Day 7



Chocolate Cupcakes

I had actually made these earlier in the year, then taken them to a Christmas party where they disappeared in a flash. So I thought they deserved to me made again.

Cupcakes from a mix at the grocery store are usually not very good. Grocery store icing, in particular, is really fakey tasting. I saw that Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) sold a prepackaged cupcake mix. I thought it would be interesting to try -- in between the grocery mixes and handmade.

The cupcakes come out nice -- they taste homemade. You can buy the mix here http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/prdsell.aspx?Search=cupcakes&L0=ChocolateCupcakeWithChocolateFrosting or at Crate and Barrel.

My only advice is that the box says it makes 12 cupcakes. In my mind, it makes more like 15 or even 18 cupcakes. My cupcakes overflow-ith -- and still I threw some batter away. Also I had left-over icing. So plan on 15 -18. And that is a good thing. Because the batter calls for 1 stick of butter and the icing for 2 sticks of butter. That is 3 sticks of butter for 12 cupcakes. I am not doing any math there! Will. not. do. math. I am shutting my eyes -- and taking a big bite of chocolate cupcake!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I tested out King Arthur Flour's cupcake mix (both yellow cake and chocolate) as well as their buttercream frosting mixes (again, vanilla AND chocolate!) for Ryan's birthday this year. Not bad at all. I put my extra batter in a mini loaf pan and baked it into chocolate bread, then kept the extra frosting in the fridge to slather for a snack. :)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sound like the best thing I've seen so far (I know I keep thinking that every time I see something new here but I mean it this time). I am going to have to try that recipe.

And I always follow the Paula Deen school of butter usage.....the more butter the better.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cup cakes rock. Kendra brought a batch to a holiday party a couple of weeks ago and before dessert was even served people found them and ate them all up! If you live in NYC, I suggest you pop in and grab one.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kendra, we loved trying the cupcakes on the 19th. we can't wait for the cookie pictures to show!We can't wait to see you

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home